This list has been rolling around in my head for some time now. I feel the need to put it in print so it is here to reference when I need encouragement and focus.
1. I get to have my kids with me!
2. My children will understand by Whom they were made and for Whose purpose they were created.
3. I am the one who has the privilege of filling their minds with all the wonder of God's creation.
4. My boys can be free to play, jump, run, "shoot", build, dream pretty much as they see fit.
5. There is no concern for crowd control.
6. Field trips are with me, not with huge numbers of marginally supervised 8 year olds.
7. There are no school buses or other small crowded areas of unsupervised chaos.
8. I choose what they eat. They eat when they are hungry, not when the bell rings.
9. Public bathrooms--my kids just use ours and I clean it.
10. We choose not to allow our kids to be tiny cogs in a crazy machine built to make the rich richer and the existence and sovereignty of God a fairy tale.
11. I would just miss them too much
12. My kids get to see real things in real life instead of pictures of real things in text books with government sanctioned captions.
13. I get to know who my children know.
14. There is no competition for the authority over my kids...no "but that's not what my teacher said".
15. When it's exciting we get to continue to explore; when it is dull we decide if it's useful--if not we move on.
16. We learn things, not for tests but for life.
17. Kids in big unsupervised groups are mean.
18. We are the primary influence on our children, not peers or fashion or advertisers or government employed teachers.
19. We have time to really know one another.
20. It is not just the kids who get to learn.